Friday, September 21, 2018

Invocation

There's no good way to start a blog, but a few notes might help me in the future when I'm trying to remember what I was intending to do at the beginning.

Howdy! I'm an American game designer. Currently, I live in the French Alps, but I'm moving back to the Pacific Northwest of the US in a few weeks. I've been threatening my friends, peers, and cats with the idea that I'd start a blog for months now, and I'm finally sufficiently motivated to do it.

This blog, Diaghilev's Dice, is a collection of my thoughts on a few things about which I care an astonishing amount:

  • Tabletop RPGs: Their design, the art, craft, and experience of playing and enjoying them, their history, and their future. I'm usually running at least one ongoing tabletop RPG; I'll post session writeups and material from the game(s) I'm running.
  • Video Games: Making them, playing them, and understanding them both as a consumer and as a professional game developer.
  • Procedural Generation: What I understand about it (not enough yet), what I want to do with it (my reach vastly exceeds my grasp), and examples I've found and made that move in directions I like and want to emulate/reproduce.
  • Actually making a video game: I'm doing this right now. Since ideas are cheap and execution is precious, I'm going to post my notes on the game features I'm designing and the various travails I encounter in the process of making an actual video game that I intend to release for sale.
  • Miscellany: Art, links, and possibly the occasional recipe. I like to cook.
That's probably a good start. I don't know if there's a Muse of Blogging, but if they're listening--may my readers find me half as amusing as I find myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment